History Expand [+]

The Kelley School of Business represents more than 100 years of excellence in business education.
 

1830
Business education begins at Indiana College (now Indiana University) with a course in political economy.
1902
Business offerings expand with "commercial courses" in the Department of Economics and Social Science.
1920
The business school is established as the School of Commerce and Finance with 70 students enrolled.
1921
The School joins the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, which began accreditation standards in 1919 to ensure top-quality business education.
1925
Indiana Business Review, published by the School of Business's Indiana Business Research Center, debuts.
1933
The School, housed in Rawles Hall, is renamed the School of Business Administration.
1935
First graduate degree offered by the School, the Master of Science in Business, is approved.
1938
Name of the School is shortened to the School of Business.
1946
School of Business enrollment triples to 915 at the end of World War II and temporary housing is erected at Indiana University.
1947
First MBA offered, replacing the Master of Science in Business and the Master of Commercial Science.
IU School of Business Alumni Association established—now the largest business school alumni association in the world.
1950
First doctoral degree, the Doctor of Commercial Science, awarded.
1952
First executive education program begins, the Indiana Executive Program.
1956
Business Horizons academic journal begins publication.
1961
First MBA classes offered in Indianapolis via closed-circuit television with Bloomington faculty.
1963
First overseas institution building project implemented, the National Training Center for Office Administration in Djakarta, Indonesia.
1965
First MBA program in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) with the University of Dacca.
1966
Becomes one of three founding members of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, dedicated to promoting diversity in education and business.
1970
Business Honors Program begins.
1971
Innovative integrated core, or I Core, programming for undergraduate students developed at the School of Business is emulated by schools around the nation.
1972
E.W. Kelley establishes the first fully-funded professorship and chair at the school.
1974
Indianapolis campus incorporated to become "one school, one faculty, one curriculum in two locations."
1976
Indiana University's NCAA championship basketball team includes six business majors.
1980
The Wall Street Journal reports Indiana University as one of the top four undergraduate business schools in the nation.
1981
Faculty work with Chinese officials (seen here in Bloomington) to establish first MBA program in China.
1983
Executive MBA Program begins in Indianapolis.
1990
Outstanding Educational Institution Award received from the National Black MBA Association.
1991
The 10,000th MBA degree awarded in Bloomington.
1994
MBA Academies concept introduced.
1996
School celebrates 75 years as part of the International Business Forum in Wiesbaden, Germany.
1997
School named the Kelley School of Business in honor of E. W. Kelley, BS'39 (pictured here with his wife, Wilma).
1998
Indiana Business This Week begins in partnership with WRTV and WFYI.
1999
Kelley becomes the first top-ranked school to offer online education with launch of the Kelley Direct Online MBA Program.
2001
The Master of Science in Information Systems program launched in Bloomington.
2009
The Kelley School of Business Living Learning Center, an academically focused residence hall, opens.
2010
Executive Degree Programs begins.
2012
Kelley School's undergraduate building is renamed Hodge Hall Undergraduate Center, honoring James R. Hodge, BS'74.