Arlen W. Langvardt
langvard [at] indiana [dot] edu (E-mail)
Business School, Room 233B
- Professor of Business Law
- Eveleigh Professor of Business Ethics
- JD, with distinction, University of Nebraska College of Law
- BA, summa cum laude, Hastings College
- Practiced law with emphasis on civil litigation, 1981-1985
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Co-winner of the 2011 Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Excellence in Research, given by the Academy of Legal Studies in Business.
- Co-winner, Best Published Life Sciences Paper for 2006-07, Center for the Business of Life Sciences, Kelley School of Business
- Winner of 2000 Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Excellence in Research.
- Co-winner of 1997 Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Excellence in Research.
- Winner of 1997 MBA Teaching Excellence Award, Kelley School of Business
- Winner of 1996 Eli Lilly Teaching Excellence Award, MBA Program, Kelley School of Business
Intellectual Property, First Amendment, Ethics and Critical Thinking, Health Care Law and Policy
Langvardt, Arlen W. and Tara Langvardt (2011), "Caught in the Copyright Rye: Freeing First Amendment Interests from the Constraints of the Traditional View," Harvard Journal of Sports & Entertainment Law, Vol. 2, pp. 99-156.
Langvardt, Arlen W., John Hill, Anne Massey, and Jonathan Rinehart (2011), "A Proposed National Health Information Network Architecture and Complementary Federal Preemption of State Health Information Privacy Laws," American Business Law Journal, Vol. 48, pp. 503-595.
- Langvardt, Arlen W., John Hill, Yassir Karam, and Paul Hogan (2009), "Increasing Complexity and Partisanship in Business Damages Expert Testimony: The Need for a Modified Trial Regime in Quantification of Damages," University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law, Vol. 11, pp. 297-382.
Langvardt, Arlen W., John Hill, and Jonathan Rinehart (2009), "Bottom-Up or Top-Down? Removing the Privacy Law Obstacles to Healthcare Reform in the National Healthcare Crisis," Indiana Law Journal Supplement, Vol. 84, pp. 23-45.
Langvardt, Arlen W. (2008), "The Beat Should Not Go On: Resisting Early Calls for Further Extensions of Copyright Duration," Penn State Law Review, Vol. 112, pp. 783-811.
Langvardt, Arlen W., John Hill, and Anne Massey (2008), "Law, Information Technology, and Medical Errors: Toward a National Healthcare Information Network Approach to Improving Patient Care and Reducing Medical Malpractice Costs," 2007 University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy, pp. 159-237.
Langvardt, Arlen W. and Kyle Langvardt (2004), "Unwise or Unconstitutional?: The Copyright Term Extension Act, the Eldred Decision, and the Freezing of the Public Domain for Private Benefit," Minnesota Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 5, pp. 193-292.
- Langvardt, Arlen W. (2000), "The Incremental Strengthening of First Amendment Protection for Commercial Speech: Lessons from Greater New Orleans Broadcasting," American Business Law Journal, Vol. 37, pp. 587-652.
Langvardt, Arlen W. and Eric Richards (1997), "The Death of Posadas and the Birth of Change in Commercial Speech Doctrine: Implications of 44 Liquormart," American Business Law Journal, Vol. 34, pp. 483-559.