Prospective students are required to take a series of courses to ensure a foundational understanding of business and technology. These requisites cannot be applied toward the MSIS degree. The required courses are listed below with IU undergraduate equivalent course numbers provided for reference. Visit the Kelley Undergraduate Academic Bulletin to review course descriptions.
- Introductory Programming [BUS-S308 or CSCI-A201]
- Database Management [BUS-S307]
- Introduction to Financial Accounting [BUS-A201 or BUS-A200]
- Operations Management [I-Core or BUS-P300 or BUS-P301]
- Principles of Finance [I-Core or BUS-F300 or BUS-F301]
- Principles of Marketing [I-Core or BUS-M300]
- Principles of Management [I-Core or BUS-J306 or BUS-Z302]
The application review process includes an evaluation of transcripts to identify requisite courses that have been completed. Admitted students will be notified in their admission letter about the results of this evaluation. If requisite courses are still needed, an applicant has several options for completion:
Applicants currently in undergraduate programs: Applicants who have yet to complete their undergraduate degree, with careful planning, may be able to complete requisite courses at their undergraduate institution. If this is somewhere other than Indiana University, contact the MSIS Program at MSIS [at] indiana [dot] edu in advance of registering for the course to ensure it will fulfill the requisite.
Applicants residing in the United States who have earned bachelorís degrees: Applicants who are currently residing in the United States (regardless of citizenship) have two options. These options are to:
- Take requisites at a local college or university. If this is somewhere other than Indiana University, contact the MSIS program in advance of registering for the course to ensure it will fulfill the requisite.
Applicants residing outside of the United States who have earned bachelorís degrees: Applicants currently residing outside of the US must complete requisite courses through Indiana Universityís Kelley School of Business.† Requisite courses are offered in both an online and in-residence component.† The in-residence component is hosted at the Kelley School of Business.† Requisite courses are offered once a year beginning in May.† Further details regarding registration and payment for these courses will be sent to you at the end of March.
Students that reside outside of India should contact Stephanie Gray, Associate Director, Student Relations at stjgray [at] indiana [dot] edu for further details regarding how to successfully complete your requisite needs.
NOTE: We advise current IU students to meet with the MSIS program to discuss the most appropriate options for completing the requisite courses prior to enrolling in Independent Study Program courses.