Indiana University announces 2011-12 Kelley Scholars
June 28, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Ten Kelley Scholars have been selected by the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University.
The Kelley Scholars, all incoming freshmen this fall who intend to major in business at IU Bloomington, will receive full tuition and fees, a stipend for living expenses and funding for academic activities such as overseas study.
2011 Kelley Scholars, front row, left to right, Abby Zinman, Kyle Lin, Paul Gilson, Eric Smolen, Matthew Renie. Back row: Connor Ashby, Brigitte Hackler, Kaitlin Westlund and Sara Karol. Not pictured: Claudia Varga.
The award is for four years and has an annual value of more than $16,000 for recipients who are Indiana residents and about $35,000 for non-residents.
The Kelley Scholars Program is funded by a $23 million gift from E.W. Kelley and his family, made to IU in the fall of 1997. The university named its school of business for the Kelley family in acknowledgement of the gift.
This year's class of Kelley Scholars was selected from a group of more than 500 students admitted to IU, who were invited to apply for the program because of their outstanding academic records. The application included references, a high school transcript, several personal statements on a variety of topics and an essay.
The 10 Kelley Scholars are:
- Connor Ashby, son of Christopher and Stacy Ashby of McCordsville, Ind. - A graduate of Cathedral High School, he was a member of the National Honor Society, president of the Habitat for Humanity chapter and a member of the student council and Student Life council. Honors include an AP Distinction, CHS High Honors and a CHS Photography Award. He was a junior varsity member of the swim and lacrosse teams. He expects to study accounting, finance and marketing.
- Paul Gilson, the son of Marcia and Paul Gilson of Indianapolis - A graduate of Lawrence North High School, he was selected as the Lawrence North Athlete of Character and was captain of the soccer team. He was a National Merit Finalist and an AP Scholar and was president of the Lawrence Township School Student Foundation. He expects to study entrepreneurship.
- Brigitte Hackler, daughter of Mariann and Stephen Hackler of Huntington, Ind. - A graduate of Canterbury High School, she was editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, an Honor Committee member and a House Service Committee leader. She expects to study accounting.
- Sara Karol, daughter of Susan and Robert Karol of Merrick, N.Y. - A graduate of Sanford H. Calhoun High School, she was a member of the National Honor Society and the Tri-M Music Honor Society. She was a National Hispanic Scholar and an AP Scholar with Honors. She also was a member of the Mu Alpha Theta Honor Society, the International Thespian Honor Society and the wind ensemble. She was percussion section leader, a member of the business club DECA and a Writing Center Tutor. She expects to study accounting.
- Kyle Lin, son of Michael and Nancy Lin of Carmel, Ind. - A graduate of Carmel High School, he was orchestra student council president, a National Merit Finalist, a member of the National Honor Society. He was a DECA class representative and a DECA state finalist in accounting applications. He also participated in student government and was a Greyhound Kick-Off Mentor. He expects to study finance and management.
- Matthew Renie, son of Joe and Colleen Renie of Indianapolis - A graduate of Cathedral High School, he was senior class president, a National Honor Society officer, varsity bowling captain and a member of the junior varsity golf team. He also was Cathedral Leprechaun Spirit Leader, a Model UN delegate and a peer mentor. He expects to study finance and accounting.
- Eric Smolen, the son of David and Barbara Smolen of Warsaw, Ind. - A graduate of Warsaw Community High School, he also was a recipient of an IU Excellence Scholarship. He was a member of the varsity baseball team, VCHS Octagon Club president and a National Merit Commended Scholar. He expects to study marketing and international business
- Claudia Varga, daughter of Gabor Varga and Eva Vig of Indianapolis - A graduate of North Central High School, she was the international baccalaureate diploma recipient, captain of the women's tennis team, alto leader of the Northernaires Gospel Choir, a National Honor Society member and an AP Scholar. She expects to study marketing.
- Kaitlin Westlund, daughter of Steve and Michelle Westlund of Schererville, Ind. - A graduate of Lake Central High School, she was a National Merit finalist, a member of the National Honor Society and the Quill and Scroll Honor Society. She was a Hoosier Girls' State delegate and active in show choir and theater. She plans to study business.
- Abby Zinman, daughter of LeAnn and Ira Zinman of Bloomington, Ind. - A graduate of Bloomington High School North, she was drum major of the marching band, active in Habitat for Humanity and a member of BHSN Band Program. She expects to study marketing and international business.
For more information about the Kelley Scholars Program, contact Amanda Denton at the Kelley School of Business, at 812-855-4474 or email@example.com.