Windows and Norton Update Instructions
- To schedule a time to automatically update your virus pattern files:
From the Start menu, select Programs or All Programs, then Symantec Client Security or Norton/Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, then Symantec AntiVirus Client or Norton/Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition.
Alternatively, in the system tray portion of the Taskbar (typically on the lower right of your screen), you can right-click the Norton/Symantec AntiVirus icon (which looks like a shield) and select Open Norton/Symantec AntiVirus... .
- From the File menu, choose Schedule Updates... .
- Make sure the box labeled Enable scheduled automatic updates is checked. Click Schedule... .
- You can now schedule a specific time for updates to occur. UITS recommends setting the "Frequency" to Weekly. Click OK when done.
To schedule a virus scan after your virus pattern files have been updated:
- Launch NAV as in step 1 above.
- From the Edit menu, choose New Scheduled Scan.
- In the field labeled "Name:", type the name of this scan (for example, Weekly Scan). Click Next.
- Make sure that the box labeled Enable scan is checked. You can now schedule how often and at what time of the day you want the scan to occur. UITS recommends setting the "Frequency" to Weekly. Click Next when done.
- You can now select what drives you want to scan. UITS recommends scanning all your hard drives. Check the box next to each drive you want to scan. The Options... button will allow you to configure what file types you wish to scan and what actions you wish to take upon finding a virus. UITS recommends leaving these at the default settings.
- Click Save to finish scheduling your virus scan.
Microsoft has a Web site from which you can download current updates for your Windows operating system. However, to use this site, you need to have Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher and, for certain versions of Windows, administrative rights. If you don't have Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, the Microsoft update site will direct you to where you can download it.
The direct link to the Windows Update Web site is:
You may also follow the procedure below for your operating system:
• Windows XP and 2000
To get the updates for Windows XP or Windows 2000, you must log in as administrator or have administrative rights. Click the Start button, and, from near the top of the resulting menu, select Windows Update.
Note: The Windows XP default desktop view andStart menu are different from the Windows Classic View (e.g., Windows 2000). Therefore, navigating to certain items can be different. In the interest of broad applicability, most of the Knowledge Base instructions are written for Classic View. For information about switching your Windows XP default view to Classic View, see the Knowledge Base document In Windows XP, how do I switch to the Windows Classic View, Classic theme, or Classic Control Panel?