Arrive at Indiana University Bloomington as a directly admitted Kelley business student.
If you are a high school student who works hard, earns good grades, and is committed to sustaining academic excellence through your college career, then you are well on your way to becoming a direct admit Kelley student.
As a Bloomington direct admit (available to students entering in the fall semesters only), you will bypass the admissions requirements current IU students must meet to be accepted into the program. This means you will start working with your Kelley academic and career advisors from the first day you arrive.
Here’s what you need to do to be directly admitted to the Kelley Undergraduate Program:
- Apply to Indiana University, beginning August 1, the fall of your senior year of high school. This will ensure that you are considered for direct admit scholarship opportunities. The scholarship consideration process begins the February before your first fall semester.
Make sure that you mark “Business” or one of our Kelley undergraduate majors as your intended major on the application. For example, if you put “Finance” or “Marketing” as your intended major instead of “Business”, you will still be considered, as those are business majors. If you do not mark your interest in business on the application, you will not be considered for direct admission.
If you did not mark “Business” or one of our Kelley undergraduate majors on your application, you may change your major by emailing the IU Office of Admissions with a change of major request. This change may take several weeks to process. If you are an international student, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org, as you may not be able to change your major until you arrive on campus.
- For fall 2014 admission, you will automatically be offered direct admission to the Bloomington Kelley School of Business if you have:
- Been admitted to IU Bloomington and indicated business as your intended major. See above.
- Earned a composite ACT score of 30 or SAT total score of 1270, including only the math and critical reading sections. The best available scores from multiple test dates will be considered.
- Earned a cumulative GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale during your high school career. Indiana University accepts weighted GPAs (if provided on the high school transcript). Please note that all GPAs will be converted to a 4.0 scale.
You will only be offered direct admission if you have met all of these requirements. Direct admission is offered solely on these stated criteria. If you meet the criteria for direct admission any time between August 1, 2013 and July 31, 2014, you will be offered direct admission to Kelley.
- Once you have been admitted to Indiana University, and you qualify for direct admission, you will receive notification of your direct admission within six to eight weeks. If it has been longer than eight weeks since your admission to IU and you have not received an email or letter about direct admission, you may email us.
Students will not be notified if they have not been offered direct admission.
If you do not qualify for direct admission, you will not be behind.
Instead, you will start in University Division as a pre-business student, and then apply once you have completed all of the standard admission requirements for Kelley. As a University Division student, you will take the same foundation courses in the first two years as a direct admit student.
Direct admit international students
If you are a direct admit international student, you should complete the required Indiana English Proficiency Exam (IEPE) once you arrive in Bloomington. The results will determine which English improvement courses (if any) you will need to take. The six topics of the English improvement courses are all numbered SLST-T 101. Each semester, the six topics will have differing class numbers. You should complete the required SLST-T 101 courses in your first year at IU Bloomington and must complete them prior to applying for I-Core.
Petition for direct admission
Only incoming freshmen who matriculate at Indiana University Bloomington in the fall semester are eligible for direct admission.
To be eligible to petition for direct admission, students must:
- Have applied to IU Bloomington by November 1
- Exceed either the test score or GPA requirement for direct admission
- Be slightly lower on the remaining criterion for direct admission (GPA or test scores)
- Complete the online petition form, including providing a brief personal statement
- Upload a current high school transcript via the online petition form (senior year courses do not need to be included). The transcript can be unofficial.
For example, a student who has a 31 ACT and a 3.69 GPA would be eligible to petition if they have applied to IU by November 1. Petitions are not guaranteed direct admission, but are an opportunity for the student’s record to be individually reviewed.
Students who matriculate in the spring semester and transfer students are not eligible for direct admission.
Timeline for petitions
- Online petition form opens: October 15
- Online petition form closes: December 2
- Students must submit all high school transcripts to the Kelley School Undergraduate Program by December 2 to be considered.
- Students must be admitted to IUB by January 15 to be considered for direct admission through the petitions process.
- Students will receive email notification at their IU email account with the petition decision in mid-February.
Incomplete or late petitions will not be reviewed. Due to the highly competitive nature of Kelley freshmen scholarships, students who do not meet all direct admission criteria automatically are not considered for freshmen funding.