Teaching & Courses
Power, Persuasion, Influence, and Negotiation
- 1.5 credits
- Prerequisite: MBA Core, for those not in the MBA program, graduate student status and instructor's permission
This course blends a rigorous scholarly treatment of the topic of negotiations and conflict management with a diverse array of business-focused negotiations exercises. The consistent focus is on the role of the executive as a negotiator, a manager and resolver of conflict, and a leader of people. Students take away from the Course a theoretical, conceptual and operational grasp of the following five elements:
- Negotiations/Conflict Management Style;
- Diagnosis of the Negotiations/Conflict Scenario;
- Distributive and Integrative Bargaining;
- Communication, Influence and Persuasion; and
- Strategy and the Wise Exercise of Power.
Mastering these five elements of the negotiations/conflict management process will make students more competent, thoughtful decision makers and bolder, more confident leaders of people. Students will be expected to take an active role in the learning process by participating in negotiations exercises, case studies and class discussions.