Stephen L. Hayford
- Professor of Business Law
- JD, summa cum laude, Indiana University School of Law
- PhD, Business Administration and Labor Law, University of Iowa
- MBA, University of Arizona
- BS, University of Evansville
Dispute Resolution, Business Ethics
Stephen L. Hayford is Professor of Business Law in the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University-Bloomington. Professor Hayford teaches courses that focus on business ethics and dispute resolution. He is also Visiting Professor of Dispute Resolution at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law in Malibu, California. Professor Hayford holds an MBA from the University of Arizona, a Ph.D. in Business and Economics from the University of Iowa and a J.D., Summa Cum Laude, from Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington. After law school, Dr. Hayford served as Law Clerk to the Hon. J.E. Eschbach, Senior Judge for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Following his judicial clerkship, he was a commercial litigator with Gunster, Yoakley, Valdes-Fauli & Stewart, a large West Palm Beach, Florida law firm. Professor Hayford is an active labor, employment and commercial arbitrator and mediator. He is a member of the National Academy of Arbitrators and has served on the Academy’s Board of Governors and as Chair of its Research Committee. He is Immediate Past President and a Founding Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators. In addition, he is Chair of the Public Interest Council (ethics oversight board)of BKD, the ninth largest public accounting in the United States. Professor Hayford has published extensively in the law review and dispute resolution literature. From 1996 to 2000 he was Academic Advisor to the Drafting Committee appointed by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (NCCUSL) to revise the Uniform Arbitration Act.
- Hayford, Stephen L. (2001), "Unification of the Law of Labor Arbitration and Commercial Arbitration: An Idea Whose Time Has Come," Baylor Law Review, Vol. 52, No. 3, Winter, pp. 783-927.
- Hayford, Stephen L. (2001), "Federal Preemption and Vacatur: The ‘Bookend’ Issues Under the Revised Uniform Arbitration Act," Journal of Dispute Resolution, No. 1, May, pp. 67-88.
- Hayford, Stephen L. (2000), "Executive Briefing: Alternative Dispute Resolution," Business Horizons, January, pp. 2-4.
- Hayford, Stephen L. (2000), "The Federal Arbitration Act: Key to Stabilizing and Strengthening the Law of Labor Arbitration," Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law, Vol. 21, No. 2, September, pp. 521-574.
- Hayford, Stephen L. (1998), "Reining in the Manifest Disregard of the Law Standard: Key to Restoring Order to the Law of Vacatur," Journal of Dispute Resolution, No. 2, pp. 117-140.