Lopo L. Rego
- Associate Professor of Marketing
- PhD, Marketing, University of Michigan Business School, 2000
- MBA, Marketing and Strategy, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 1993
- BS, Economics, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 1991
- Associate Professor of Marketing, Indiana University, 2011-present
- Associate Professor of Marketing, Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa, 2010-11
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa, 2003-10
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Marketing, Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa, 2001-03
- Adjunct Lecturer, Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa, 2000
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Gary C. Fethke Research Fellowship, 2008-2011
- University of Iowa - School of Management Marketing Faculty of the Year, 2007-09
- Dean's Teaching Award, University of Iowa Tippie College of Business, 2008
- Marketing Science Institute Research Award #4-1462a, 2007
- Marketing Science Institute Research Award #4-1462b, 2007
- University of Iowa Instructional Improvement Award, 2007
- Old Gold Fellowship, University of Iowa, 2005
- Old Gold Fellowship, University of Iowa, 2004
- Marketing Science Institute Research Award, #4-1262, 2004
- Doctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan, 1998-99
- European Union PRAXIS XXI - Fellowship and Scholarship, 1994-98
- Gerald & Lillian Dykstra Fellowship for Teaching & Academic Excellence, 1997
Marketing-Finance Interface, Strategic Marketing, Shareholder Value Creation, Strategic Brand Management, Customer Satisfaction, Brand Equity, Empirical Generalizations.
Running, photography, cooking, technology-junkie, traveling
Lopo joined the faculty in 2011. Originally from Lisbon, Portugal, he has been in the US since 1994 when he started his "Grand Tour of the Midwest": Ann Arbor, Michigan, Iowa City, Iowa and most recently, Bloomington, Indiana. His undergraduate degree is in Economics and he also earned a master’s degree in Economics, although he hopes that people do not hold that against him. Later on and while working on his MBA, he fully converted to the "dark side" and has since been very interested in the associations between Marketing Strategy and Firm Performance. In further exploring these associations, he discovered this curiosity to be life-long, leading him to Ann Arbor, where he eventually earned his Ph.D. in Marketing at the University of Michigan. Not surprisingly, his research interests focus primarily in understanding how Marketing decisions, strategies and investments aimed at customers, products, brands, collaborators and competitive context translate into different levels of firm performance, be it at the product-marketplace level, financial-accounting level or shareholder wealth level. His research has been published in such outlets as the Journal of Marketing, Marketing Science, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Empirical Generalisations in Marketing, Harvard Business Review, Journal of Research in Marketing, and Marketing Science Institute Working Paper Series.
- Billett, Matthew T., Zhan Jiang and Lopo L. Rego (2014), “Glamour Brands and Glamour Stocks,” forthcoming, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
- Lopo L. Rego, Neil A. Morgan and Claes Fornell (2013), "Reexamining the Market Share-Customer Satisfaction Relationship," Journal of Marketing, vol. 77, issue 5, pages 1-20.
- Wiles, Michael A., Neil A. Morgan, and Lopo L. Rego (2012), "The Effect of Brand Acquisition and Disposal on Abnormal Stock Returns," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 76, No. 1, pp. 38-58.
- Jung, Sanguk, Thomas S. Gruca, and Lopo L. Rego (2010), "Excess Loyalty in CPG Markets: A Comprehensive Examination," Journal of Empirical Generalisations in Marketing Science, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-13. Read Abstract
- Rego, Lopo L., Matthew T. Billett and Neil A. Morgan (2009), "Customer-Based Brand Equity and Firm Risk," Journal of Marketing, 73 (6), 47-60. Read Abstract
- Morgan, Neil A., and Lopo L. Rego (2009), "Brand Portfolio Strategy and Firm Performance," Journal of Marketing, 73 (1), 59-74. Read Abstract
- Morgan, Neil A., and Lopo L. Rego (2008), "Rejoinder: Can Behavorial WOM Measures Provide Insight into the Net Promoter© Concept of Customer Loyalty?" Marketing Science, 27 (3), 533-534. Read Abstract
- Pingitore, Gina, Neil A. Morgan, Lopo L. Rego, Adriana Giglotti, and Jay Meyers (2007), "The Single Question Trap: The Net Promoter Score Has Limitations in Predicting Financial Performance," Marketing Research, 19 (2), 9-13. Read Abstract
- Morgan, Neil A., and Lopo L. Rego (2006), "The Value of Different Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty Metrics in Predicting Business Performance," Marketing Science, 25 (5), 426-439. Read Abstract
- Gruca, Thomas S. and Lopo L. Rego (2005), "Customer Satisfaction, Cash Flow, and Shareholder Value," Journal of Marketing, 69 (3), 115-130. Read Abstract
- Dholakai, Utpal M. and Lopo L. Rego (1998), "What Makes Commercial Web Pages Popular? An Empirical Investigation of Web Page Effectiveness," European Journal of Marketing, 32 (7/8), 724-736. Read Abstract