Gilvan "Gil" C. Souza
- Associate Professor of Operations Management
- PhD, University of North Carolina, 2000
- MBA, Clemson University, 1995
- BS, ITA (Brazil), 1990
- Indiana University, 2009-present, Associate Professor
- University of Maryland, 2006-2009, Associate Professor
- University of Maryland, 2000-2006, Assistant Professor
- Georgia Institute of Technology, 2007, Visiting Associate Professor
- Volkswagen of Brazil, 1991-1994, 1995-1996, Product Development Engineer
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Wickham Skinner Early Career Research Award, POMS 2004
- 2004 Krowe Teaching Award, for excellence in the MBA program, Smith School, University of Maryland
Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Closed-Loop Supply Chains, Technology Management, Sustainable Operations, Remanufacturing, Reverse Logistics
Swimming, Reading, Traveling, Brazilian Soccer
- Guo, S., G. Aydin, and G. C. Souza (2014), “Dismantle or Remanufacture?” European Journal of Operational Research, 233(3), 580-583. Read Abstract
- Cattani, Kyle, Gilvan C. Souza, and Shengqi Ye (2014). "Shelf Loathing: Cross Docking at an Online Retailer,"Production and Operations Management, 23(5), 893-906. Read Abstract
- Atasu, Atalay, and Gilvan C. Souza (2013), “How Does Product Recovery Affect Quality Choice?”Production and Operations Management, 22:4, 991–1010, July–August.
- Abbey, James, V. Daniel Guide, Jr., and Gilvan C. Souza (2013), “Delayed Differentiation for Multiple Lifecycle Products.” Production and Operations Management, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 588–602.
- Wang, W., M. Ferguson, S. Hu, and G. C. Souza (2013). "Dynamic Capacity Investment with Two Competing Technologies," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 15(4), 616-629. Read Abstract
- Souza, Gilvan C., (2012), Sustainable Operations and Closed-Loop Supply Chains, Business Expert Press.
- Ferguson, M. and G. Souza (eds.) (2010), Closed-Loop Supply Chains: New Developments to Improve the Sustainability of Business Practices, Boca Ratton, FL: CRC Press.
- Ferguson, Mark, V. Daniel Guide, Jr., Eylem Koca, and Gilvan C. Souza (2009), “The Value of Quality Grading in Remanufacturing,” Production and Operations Management, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 300-314. Read Abstract
- Ferguson, Mark, V. Daniel Guide, Jr., and Gilvan C. Souza (2006), “Supply Chain Coordination for False Failure Returns,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 376-393. Read Abstract
- Guide, V. Daniel, Jr., Gilvan C. Souza, Luk Van Wassenhove, and Joseph D. Blackburn (2006), "Time Value of Commercial Product Returns," Management Science, Vol. 52, No. 8, pp. 1200-1214. Read Abstract
- Souza, Gilvan C., Barry L. Bayus, and Harvey M. Wagner (2004), "New-Product Strategy and Industry Clockspeed," Management Science, Vol. 50, No. 4, April, pp. 537-549. Read Abstract
- Blackburn, Joseph, V. Daniel Guide, Jr., Gilvan C. Souza, and Luk Van Wassenhove (2004), "Reverse Supply Chains for Commercial Returns," California Management Review, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 6-22. Read Abstract
- Cattani, Kyle and Givlan C. Souza (2002), "Inventory Rationing and Shipment Flexibility Alternatives for Direct Market Firms," Production and Operations Management, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 441-457. Read Abstract