A personal computer—desktop or laptop—is required for students in Kelley programs that are delivered online. The minimum and recommended hardware specifications follow:
Purchasing a new computer? Be sure to get the most up-to-date options in your system. Do some research to find the best computer and support options to meet both Kelley’s technical requirements and your personal needs. Indiana University has special computer deals available to students.
Tablets like the iPad can be used for some portions of the program, but not all. A personal computer remains necessary to complete your online coursework.
Notice to Mac users:
While Mac computers may work for a great many of Kelley’s online courses, there will be times that Windows' based programs will be required. The extent and use of these programs may vary depending on the particular course and/or instructor. If you decide to use a Mac for your Kelley online course work, be prepared to either install Windows on your Mac, or obtain a Windows based PC. For more information about installing Windows on a Mac, please contact your local IT support provider or see the support information at Apple’s website:
The following software—most available via free download—is required for Kelley coursework:
- Microsoft Office Edition 2010 or 2013 (through Indiana University)
- Windows Media Player 12
- QuickTime 7.6
- Flash player 11.8 and above
- Silverlight 3 or 4
- Adobe Reader 11
- Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 22 (or higher)
- Sun Java Runtime Environment 5/1.5.07 or above (allows you to run and install items like the VPN installer).
Download Java at: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
- The IU VPN Juniper installer – allows students to make a VPN connection to IU (it will make their computer appear as if it is on campus, this will allow them to access resources such as the IU Libraries databases and other campus specific resources).
Download the VPN installer by accessing https://vpn.iu.edu/ or http://iuware.iu.edu/Windows/Title/1084 (search for the title “Juniper SSL VPN”) – requires and IU account.
Certain courses may require other programs, such as Microsoft Excel plug-ins (stat tools, @Risk). Check with your instructors before the start of each term to find out what software is required for the course.
Free or low-cost software through Indiana University’s license agreements
Offerings include anti-virus software, graphic design suites, web development programs, citation management software, statistical analysis programs, and more. Take advantage of these great software deals:
- Free downloads from IUware Online. IUware requires your IU Network ID and passphrase. Not all software is available online.
- Purchase through the IUware Off-Campus Software Purchasing. There is $10 shipping and handling fee and delivery typically takes 7 to 10 business days.
3. Internet Connection
Required: A high-speed broadband Internet connection (such as DSL or cable internet service). Dial-up modem connections won’t work for any Kelley Direct program.
Questions about Kelley's online program’s hardware, software, or Internet connection requirements? We’re here to help—contact the help desk at kdhelp [at] indiana [dot] edu.